The Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) Science and Technology Policy (STP) Fellowships serve as a next step in the educational and professional development of scientists and engineers by providing opportunities to participate in policy-related projects at DOE’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy in Washington, D.C. Participants will become part of a group of highly-trained scientists and engineers with the education, background, and experience to be part of the workforce that supports the DOE’s mission in the future.
Better Buildings (BB) is a national leadership initiative calling on corporate chief executive officers, university presidents, utilities, state and local officials, and other leaders to make substantial commitments to improve the energy efficiency of their buildings and plants, save money, and increase competitiveness. The cornerstones are a commitment to a 20% or more savings target across the organizations’ portfolios and a commitment to share strategies that work, substantiated by energy data across the portfolios. DOE is expanding this initiative to engage leaders in a set of Better Buildings Accelerators designed to demonstrate specific innovative approaches, which upon successful demonstration will accelerate investment in energy efficiency. Through the Smart Labs (and Data Center) Accelerator, DOE will work with universities, federal agencies, national laboratories, hospitals, and corporations to advance strategies that rapidly improve energy efficiency in laboratory buildings.
Project Management Training
Collaborate with DOE FEMP program manager in activities such as partnership support, technical team coordination and quality control, data collection, program document maintenance/refinement, Better Buildings web structure and content coordination and reviews, and the development of program supporting documents.
Training and Development
Collaborate with the DOE program manager in capturing the progress, solutions to challenges and successes of the program and Data Center partners to the larger community of data center owners, stakeholders, and the public. In coordination with the BB public relations and communication team, engage trade groups, utility companies, and other stakeholders to broadcast the "good news".
Collaborate with the DOE program manager in Partner relationship activities and Partner participation including follow up calls to scope out support needs, Partner needs with support teams, track/manage delivery of support to Partners, and conduct quarterly Partner calls.
Additional Engagement Activities
- Recruitment (Primarily for the Labs Accelerator)
- Engage customers to promote and establish Public Relation opportunities.
- Attend DOE staff meetings related to summit planning
- Train with FEMP staff on Lawrence Berkley National Laboratory (LBNL) interaction/tasks
- Present quarterly data center accelerator updates
- Collaborate with FEMP staff to advise on tracking of FEMP conference involvement for data centers as it pertains to BB
- Attend/moderate conferences
- Lead and develop Partner workshops & webinars as necessary.
- Develop delivering briefings and communications regarding project activities, needs, and status to the BB program, FEMP executives, technical Partner organizations, and program support contractors.
- Engage the program manager in providing continual developing and maintaining tools for the reporting/tracking of overall project development, recruiting, and partner engagement activities and status.
Participants will receive a stipend to be determined by EERE. Stipends are typically based on the participant’s academic standing, discipline, experience, and research facility location. EERE may authorize a stipend increase to offset the costs of health insurance. Participants are eligible to purchase the family or individual health insurance plan offered through ORISE. A relocation allowance may be provided for participants relocating to the hosting facility. Participants may receive an allowance for education and/or scientific activities as approved by EERE.
This opportunity is available to U.S. citizens.
Nature of Appointment
The participant will not enter into an employee/employer relationship with ORISE, ORAU, DOE, or any other office or agency. Instead, the participant will be affiliated with ORISE for the administration of the appointment through the ORISE appointment letter and Terms of Appointment.