Lecturer/Sr. Lecturer/Asst. Professor/Associate Professor/Professor in Economics
Department: School of Arts and Sciences
Duty station: Khorog, Tajikistan
Deadline: January 15th 2019 (open until filled)
Commencement Date: January 15th 2019, or August 1st 2019
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The University of Central Asia seeks to fill several full-time positions in the Economics programme at UCA’s campus in Khorog, Tajikistan. In your role as faculty member, you will be contributing to the development and implementation of a new Economics curriculum at the Bachelor Level that has been designed in partnership with the Higher School of Economics in Moscow and the Stockholm School of Economics in Riga.
Academic programmes combine the student-centered environment of a liberal arts college with the intellectual excitement of being at the frontiers of knowledge offered by a research university. As a Faculty Member teaching in small classes you will be providing each student with personal academic attention to ensure that they master and apply the material.
The successful candidate is expected to be research active and have a commitment to establishing foundational knowledge for students new to the field especially on issues relating to the economic development of Central Asia, especially its mountainous regions. Creating pathways to engage students in the research programme, you will be provided support to continue your research and explore new horizons.
UCA aims to train economists who are strategic thinkers and can eventually serve as effective policy makers who understand the complexities of Central Asian and global economies. The degree programme will address both global economic concepts and processes and Central Asian emerging economies and opportunities. It will equip students to make a contribution to economic growth. You will have access to and be expected to contribute to research work of the University’s Institute of Public Policy and Administration, which fosters rigorous inquiry into public policy related to socio-economic development in Central Asia and has strong partnerships with government agencies across the region.
- Lecturer: Master’s in Economics
- Assistant Professor and Above: PhD in Economics
- Fluency in English is required, knowledge of Russian is an asset
- Ability to work independently, as well as within a teaching team; flexibility and the ability to work in a constantly-evolving academic endeavour is essential
- Experience in teaching in Central Asia would be a valuable asset
- A demonstrated commitment to teaching and students. At least 2 years of experience teaching at the undergraduate level would be expected.
- Experience using innovative teaching methods and evaluation methodologies
- A proven ability to publish research in high quality journals
- Regular attendance and experience with presenting at international conferences
- Experience in conducting research in Central Asia would be a valuable asset
- Aware of current and future industry trends; strong network of industry contacts to support internship programs, project collaborations and industrial mentoring.
Salary and Package
Commensurate with qualification and experience to attract the best candidate.
How to Apply
Please send us an up-to-date resume including list of published work and teaching evaluations (if applicable). List of at least three references who may to attest to your teaching/research experience is also required. Kindly email resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use: "Economics Faculty Member" as the subject header and indicate how you heard about us.
For more information about UCA’s academic programmes please visit
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.