Academic Dean, Bryant Zhuhai
A unique opportunity to join a successful and expanding program in China. Bryant University seeks an entrepreneurially minded, accomplished leader to assume the role of Academic Dean of its growing Zhuhai campus in China. The ideal candidate is a collaborative leader who thrives in a growing and changing environment, has extensive experience with U.S. higher education and accreditation, experience working internationally (with China a plus), and offers a proven record of program and project development.
This position reports directly to the President.
The current Academic Dean for Bryant Zhuhai will be retiring before the beginning of the next academic year in August 2017. The successful candidate will begin working with the current Dean along with administration of Bryant University and Bryant Zhuhai in order to fully transition into the Zhuhai Dean role by the start of the next academic year.
Currently in its second year of operation, Bryant Zhuhai was established as a partnership between the Beijing Institute of Technology Zhuhai (BITZH) and Bryant University. Bryant Zhuhai (BUZ) offers the only joint U.S.-China four-year undergraduate business degree in China. In addition, it is developing a “2 plus 2” program in which students are expected to transfer to Bryant’s Smithfield, RI campus, or to another accredited university in the United States or other English speaking country, after 2 years to complete their bachelor’s degree.
Bryant is a nationally recognized leader in international education and the Zhuhai program mirrors the University’s curriculum and high academic standards. The school is in its second year of operation with a junior and sophomore classes of about 150 students each, and approximately the same number of entering freshmen. Students are currently recruited in China, but plans call for U.S. students to be recruited to study abroad on the Zhuhai campus beginning next year. The curriculum is delivered in English.
In consultation with the Bryant University Provost, the Academic Dean is responsible for the operational oversight of the academic programs to ensure the quality of instruction meets accreditation standards. The Academic Dean is also responsible for recruiting faculty and selecting administrative staff, with the approval of the Bryant Provost. It is currently a practice for the Dean to teach one course to better understand the academic issues faced by an international student body.
- Diplomacy, tact, and the ability to interact effectively with faculty, staff and students.
- Ability to work collaboratively with academic and administrative leaders from Bryant University and BITZH.
- Working knowledge of the expectations associated with an accredited business degree program and other future programs.
- Significant international experience, preferably in China.
- Ability to make effective public presentations and to communicate our vision and mission in China and to be an effective ambassador for Bryant University.
- The ability to effectively manage visa and international employment issues.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, comfort with uncertainty, flexible management style.
- A demonstrated ability to effectively operate across cultures.
About Bryant Zhuhai
- Fluency or sufficient knowledge of Chinese and English to operate effectively in a multicultural environment.
- A terminal degree (PhD, JD, EdD) from an accredited institution and sufficient familiarity with academic operations to ensure implementation of high quality educational programs.
- Sound understanding of U.S. accreditation requirements, preferably NEASC and AACSB.
- Commitment to a high quality, innovative blend of Eastern and Western values, and student-centered Chinese and U.S. educational experiences, to provide students with transformational education for individual excellence and global citizenship.
- A team player, but with the entrepreneurial drive and leadership skills required to oversee a new academic enterprise.
- Knowledge of the needs of Chinese speaking students and experience teaching and working with international students.
- Working knowledge of Chinese culture, customs and processes demonstrated by experience living and working in China.
- An ability to be a leader of faculty and staff to create an environment of collegial cooperation and high esprit de corps.
Bryant Zhuhai is located within the beautiful 800-acre campus of the Beijing Institute of Technology Zhuhai, home to approximately 26,000 students. With classrooms and offices located in a new 100,000 square-foot facility, Bryant Zhuhai will continue to advance Bryant University’s reputation for innovation and excellence in its academic programs. In addition, plans are being developed for a new living/learning residential campus which will be separate from the BITZH residential academic-auxiliary buildings. Bryant Zhuhai boasts a robust student population with increasing student enrollment each year.
Living in Zhuhai, China
This position will be located in Zhuhai, a gorgeous coastal city and top tourist destination known as the Chinese Riviera, located on the southern coast of Guangdong province in China. Located across the bay from Hong Kong and connecting with Macau by land, the city boasts seven spectacular beaches; stunning mountain views; green gardens and parks; and relaxed offshore islands. Zhuhai has received numerous awards for environmental standards and achievements, including the Top 40 Cities for Travel in China, National Garden City, National Model City for (of) Environmental Protection (NMC), Cleanest City in China, and Best City for Land Travel in China. Zhuhai is currently responsible for 10 percent of China’s total GDP and is one of China’s earliest special economic zones. It is home to many of China’s innovative manufacturing facilities. China is currently building a 50-kilometer causeway linking Zhuhai to Hong Kong for an easy 20 minute drive.
Should you have questions regarding this opportunity, please contact Jennifer Muller at Jennifer@AcademicKeys.com or 860-656-6214.
Bryant University is being assisted by the Keysearch Executive Search Services of Academic Keys.