Assistant Manager or Manager
WORK LOCATION: Accounting Services, LSU AgCenter, Baton Rouge, La. The LSU Agricultural Center is a statewide organization with offices in every parish of Louisiana. The administrative headquarters, including Accounting Services and the procurement function are located in Baton Rouge.
ABOUT THE LSU AGRICULTURAL CENTER: The LSU AgCenter, is one of 10 campuses within the LSU System. The LSU AgCenter includes the Louisiana Agricultural Experiment Station, which conducts agricultural-based research, and the Louisiana Cooperative Extension Service, which extends the knowledge derived from research to the people of the state. The AgCenter is headquartered in Baton Rouge and has 12 "on campus" academic departments and five regions which are made up of 17 branch research stations and an extension office in each parish. For more information, visit the AgCenter’s web site at www.lsuagcenter.com.
NATURE OF POSITION: This position is the primary buyer for the LSU Agricultural Center. The position will be filled at either the Assistant Manager or Manager level, depending on the credentials of the selected applicant. At the Assistant Manager level, the position will be more closely supervised particularly for more complicated procurement requests, review and negotiation of contract language, and activities under the AgCenter’s Office of Facilities Planning. At the manager level, the position will be expected to function more independently with the full range of procurement activities described below.
RESPONSIBILITIES: This position’s primary role is as buyer for the LSU Agricultural Center. This position reports to the Director of Accounting Services, but may also receive functional oversight from other staff members. Specific duties are as follow:
- Responsible for all phases of the overall procurement function for the AgCenter. This includes procurement of all commodities, including research and scientific equipment, computer equipment and software, supplies, services, and professional, personal, and consulting services for the administrative staff, faculty, five regional offices, thirteen on-campus departments, and seventeen research stations throughout the state.
- Reviews and negotiates contract language and monitors contracts for compliance with federal, state and university rules and regulations.
- Works with unit administrators, officials and other personnel to provide technical assistance and solve problems associated with procurement activities. Provides oral and written interpretation of policies and procedures, rules and regulations, revised statutes and internal guidelines to AgCenter and vendor communities.
- Works closely with the Office of Facilities Planning on procurement as relates to its functions. Construction activities fall under a different Louisiana statute which is highly complex. This requires knowledge of a separate set of policies, procedures and operational details.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position reports to the Director of Accounting Services, but also receives oversight from other staff members.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Assistant Manager: Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of three years of work experience in accounting or business related area. Experience in the public sector and/or a university setting is desirable. Must have excellent interpersonal, administrative, and organizational skills. Manager: Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of three years of professional level experience in procurement. Experience in the public sector and/or a university setting is desirable. Must have excellent interpersonal, administrative, and organizational skills.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Salary will be commensurate with education and experience. The LSU AgCenter has an attractive benefits package with a wide variety of benefit options. Current benefits offered include retirement, multiple medical insurance options, supplemental insurances (dental, life, long-term disability, accident, vision, long-term care, etc.), Tax Saver Flexible Benefits Plan (saves tax dollars on some child care and medical expenses), university holidays (14 per year, typically includes a week off at Christmas), generous annual (vacation) and sick leave benefits, Employee Assistance Program, and possible educational leave and tuition exemption for coursework at campuses of the LSU System. Specific benefits depend on job category, percent effort and length of employment.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 30, 2019 or until a suitable applicant is located.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Apply online at https://lsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/LSU (or through Workday for internal applicants) by attaching cover letter along with current resume, transcripts, and two letters of recommendation. Paper, faxed or emailed application materials will not be accepted, except that in lieu of attaching the recommendation letters online, they may be sent directly to:
Director of Accounting Services
103 J Efferson Hall
Baton Rouge, LA 70803