Missouri State University invites applications for an innovative, team-oriented, and visionary leader to serve as its next Department Head and Associate/Full Professor of Management. Reporting to the Dean of the College of Business, the Department Head will work with faculty on the strategic future of the department and curricular/program issues, and is responsible for setting the strategic, operational, and financial direction for the Department of Management.
The Department Head is responsible for administering an academic department within a college, which may include and is not limited to, faculty recruitment and development, faculty evaluation, program development, program review, curriculum development, student advisement, departmental budgeting and budget control, class schedule planning, and general supervision of the teaching, research, and service and related scholarly activities of the department.
- An earned doctorate in an appropriate management-related discipline from an AACSB-accredited institution
- Applicants with an earned doctorate in a related field will be considered
- An established record of scholarly research, teaching, and service appropriate for appointment as a tenured Associate or Full Professor
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to interact successfully with industry
- Demonstrated leadership and collegiality
- A demonstrated commitment to promoting a diverse environment
Department of Management
- Recruit, develop, and evaluate faculty
- Develop, review, and update academic programs and curriculum
- Coordinate with the Business Advisement Center and COB Graduate Programs Office to facilitate recruitment and advisement of students
- Counsel students regarding careers and academic programs
- Develop and manage the departmental budget
- Create the class schedule for each semester
- Teach courses and conduct research to maintain personal faculty qualification per AACSB guidelines
- Supervise the administrative functions of the Department of Management
- Promote a collegial environment
- Supervise the teaching, research, service and related scholarly activities of the Department of Management
- Develop and enhance relationships with departmental advisory board(s) professional associations, and other external constituencies
- Cultivate employer relationships and facilitate placement of graduates
- Promote the development of competitive online programs
The Department of Management has 16 full-time faculty and nearly 700 undergraduate and graduate students. The Department offers BS undergraduate programs in Entertainment Management, Entrepreneurship, and Management, as well as a graduate program in Health Administration. Department Faculty also contribute to the College’s MBA, Executive MBA, and Executive MHA programs, as well as the General Business Program on the MSU China Campus.
The highly qualified and collegial faculty have forged strong relationships with industry as demonstrated by 70+ firms recruiting management related majors at COB’s 2019 Business Career Fair.
College of Business
The College of Business at Missouri State University is housed in Glass Hall. A multi-million dollar renovation project and a 37,000 square foot addition were completed in 2018. The College has more than 5,000 students, positioning it among the largest Colleges of Business in the Midwest. The College of Business is fully accredited by the AACSB including supplemental accreditation in accounting. In addition to the Department of Management, the college is comprised of the School of Accountancy and Departments of Finance and General Business, Information Technology and Cybersecurity, and Marketing in the business unit, as well as two separately accredited departments Merchandising and Fashion Design, and Technology and Construction Management. The College offers BS, BA, MAcc, MBA, Executive MBA, and MHA degrees as well as an MS in Cybersecurity and a Masters of Project Management.
About Missouri State University
Missouri State University (MSU) is a public, comprehensive university system with a mission in public affairs. Located in Springfield, Missouri, MSU enrolls just over 24,000 students in the arts, business, engineering, healthcare, humanities, social sciences, and natural and physical sciences. Our purpose is to develop fully educated persons with a focus on ethical leadership, cultural competence and community engagement. For more information about MSU, visit www.missouristate.edu.
Living in Springfield, Missouri
Springfield is a thriving community with a metro population of over 450,000. It is a growing business center and a city known for college life - but it is so much more than a college town. It is an optimistic, developing city with a diversified economy, located in an area known for outstanding recreational opportunities. https://www.liveinspringfieldmo.com/
Application and Nomination Process
Applications should include:
- A cover letter outlining the applicant’s background, interest, and qualifications
- Curriculum vita with contact information for at least three professional references
- Statement of Vision of Leadership
- Unofficial transcripts for all degrees achieved
Submit all applications electronically to https://jobs.missouristate.edu/postings/51770
A review of applications will begin January 4, 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
Anticipated start date is July 1, 2021.
Employment will require a criminal background check at University expense. Missouri State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Minority/Female/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity Employer and Institution
References will not be contacted without prior approval of the applicant.
Nominations and confidential inquiries may be directed to Valerie Woodruff at Valerie@academickeys.com or
Missouri State University is a community of people with respect for diversity. The University emphasizes the dignity and equality common to all persons and adheres to a strict nondiscrimination policy regarding the treatment of individual faculty, staff, and students. In accord with federal law and applicable Missouri statutes, the University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin (including ancestry, or any other subcategory of national origin recognized by applicable law), religion, sex (including marital status, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other subcategory of sex recognized by applicable law), age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law in employment or in any program or activity offered or sponsored by the University. Sex discrimination encompasses sexual harassment, which includes sexual violence, and is strictly prohibited by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972.
This policy shall not be interpreted in a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or military organizations associated with the Armed Forces of the United States of America.
The University maintains a grievance procedure incorporating due process available to any person who believes he or she has been discriminated against. Missouri State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Minority/Female/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employer. Inquiries concerning the complaint/grievance procedure related to sex discrimination, including sexual harassment and sexual assault, should be addressed to the Title IX Coordinator, Carrington Hall 205, 901 S. National Ave., Springfield, Missouri 65897, TitleIX@missouristate.edu, 417-836-8506, or to the Office for Civil Rights. All other inquiries concerning the grievance procedure, Affirmative Action Plan, or compliance with federal and state laws and guidelines should be addressed to the Equal Opportunity Officer, Office for Institutional Equity and Compliance, Park Central Office Building, Suite 111, Springfield, Missouri 65897, firstname.lastname@example.org, 417-836-4252, or to the Office for Civil Rights. (Res. Board Policies No. 70-11; Bd. Min. 10-28-11.)