Search for University Jobs in Business
Instructor Pool Custom Programs UC Berkeley Extension
University of California Berkeley
Instructor Pool Custom Programs UC Berkeley Extension
Percent time: Part-time temporary appointments are offered on a course-by-course basis. Anticipated start: Courses start throughout the year and the department reviews applications when a need arises; some appointments may begin as early as the summer semester. Position duration: Appointment length is based upon course section schedule(s). Appointments may be renewable based on need, funding, and performance. Application Window
Open date: April 13, 2022
Next review date: Sunday, Dec 18, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Thursday, Apr 13, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Academic - Non-Tenure Track
UC Berkeley Extension, the professional and continuing education division at the University of California, Berkeley, invites applications for a pool of qualified instructors to teach in-person and online courses for our Custom Programs.
Custom Programs works with corporations, governments, nonprofits and universities to design and deliver customized programs tailored to their specific needs. We design and deliver learning experiences that empower learners to become bold change-makers around the world. In line with UC Berkeley Extension's focus on applied learning, we emphasize the direct application of skills, theories and models. Our programs culminate in an Applied Innovation Project where participants apply the learning from the program to a project facilitated by world-leading Berkeley faculty and Silicon Valley professionals.
UC Berkeley Extension seeks dynamic instructors with a commitment to undergraduate, professional and continuing education in Custom Programs to lead multiple courses each year. The pool will remain in place for one calendar year; those interested in remaining in the pool beyond the advertised final closing date must reapply. The number of these positions varies from semester to semester, depending on the needs of the department.
Courses are offered in-person and online.
- Classroom instruction takes place at our centers in Berkeley and San Francisco, California (U.S.A.).
- Online instruction is delivered through live lectures (Zoom) or asynchronously through our learning management system (Canvas).
Most classroom and live online lecture courses are offered on weekdays (U.S.A. Pacific Time).
We are seeking qualified applicants who possess current subject matter expertise and/or teaching knowledge in the following subjects/specializations (but not limited to).
Teaching or Training Experience
- Agile Transformation Management
- Artificial Intelligence
- Data Science
- Design Thinking
- Digital Marketing
- Emerging Marketing Technologies
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management
- Information Architecture and Content Strategy
- Introduction to Machine Learning using Python
- Lean Management and Lean Principles
- Strategic Marketing Analytics
- Classroom Teaching Experience
- Corporate Training or Coaching Experience
- Synchronous Online Teaching Experience (online lectures via Zoom)
- Asynchronous Online Teaching Experience (via learning management system)
- Experience as an Online Course Developer
Instructor duties include but are not limited to:
- Complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Berkeley.
- Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: updating and submitting syllabi using approved syllabus template; communicating required texts and materials; communicating classroom technology and support needs.
- Make appropriate adjustments to continually improve the syllabus, curriculum and course materials. May be based upon programmatic and/or student feedback.
- Prepare and deliver course materials, lectures/presentations, and design learning assessments.
- Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning.
- Stay current within the subject, discipline or field of practice.
- Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum.
- Utilize course support platforms, including the Canvas Learning Management System and Zoom Pro (as applicable).
- Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline/explain the grading policies for the course.
- Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner.
- Employ culturally competent and inclusive teaching methodologies in the classroom (including teaching non-native speakers and/or students with academic letters of accommodations for learning disabilities).
- Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes and assign grades.
- Post final student grades to the transcript system within two weeks of course completion.
- Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Program Director as needed.
- Retain student records according to University policies.
- May be appointed as a curriculum/course developer to write original course curriculum and content. May develop and provide raw original content for the following: the course syllabus, learning objectives, lecture segments and scripts, reading assignments, assessments/assignments, discussion prompts, course midterm exam(s) or project(s), final exam(s) or project(s), student instructions, etc.
Access to UC Berkeley library stacks and online resources, free and discounted software, and professional development through LinkedIn Learning. Workers compensation and general liability insurance coverage, Medicare contributions, and mandatory Safe Harbor Defined Contribution Plan contributions (in lieu of Social Security).
UC Berkeley Extension Custom Programs: https://extension.berkeley.edu/custom-programs/
Basic qualifications (required at time of application)
Additional qualifications (required at time of start)
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent international degree required.
- For those who are not US citizens or permanent residents, a legal permit that allows work in the United States (such as a US visa that allows employment) is required by the start date of the position. Due to the part-time, temporary nature of instructor positions, UC Berkeley Extension is unable to provide US visa/work permits for this position.
- Advanced degree in subject area preferred.
- 5 or more years of professional and/or academic experience in the course subject.
- Teaching, training or coaching experience in the course subject, within a corporate environment, or at a U.S. college/university institution.
- Experience teaching online and/or developing academic content for online courses.
- Ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information.
- Effective verbal/written communication and presentation skills (English).
- Effective organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and work within a team environment.
- Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) instructional and other technology, such as: Learning Management Systems (Canvas); lecture/presentation capture applications (Camtasia or Panopto); online video conferencing (Zoom); Microsoft Office (Word and PowerPoint); file sharing (Google drive or Dropbox); and Google tools (email, calendar, docs, sheets, slides, etc).
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement on Contributions to Advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including information about your understanding of these topics, your record of activities to date, and your specific plans and goals for advancing equity and inclusion if hired at Berkeley (for additional information go to https://ofew.berkeley.edu/recruitment/contributions-diversity).
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)
Please provide three names of references along with contact information at time of application.
References will only be solicited for finalists.
Examples of Preferred References (in descending order of preference):
Apply link: https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/JPF03425
- Best Reference: Academic supervisor who has directly observed you teach, train or present and can speak to your academic teaching abilities or presentation skills.
- Best Reference: Professional colleague or client who has directly observed you teach, train or present and can speak to your teaching abilities and/or presentation skills.
- Good Reference: Academic supervisor who has not observed your teaching/training/presentations but can speak to it by proxy (e.g., communication skills, observed interactions or received comments from colleagues/staff/students, reviewed teaching or presentation evaluations, etc.).
- Good Reference: Professional colleague or client who has not observed your teaching/training/presentations but can speak to it by proxy (e.g., communication skills, observed interactions or received comments from colleagues/staff/students, reviewed teaching or presentation evaluations, etc.).
- Acceptable Reference: Academic supervisor who can speak to your interpersonal/communication skills, skills in teamwork/collaboration, and/or management skills (and can tie that to your teaching potential).
- Acceptable Reference: Professional colleague or client who can speak to your interpersonal/communication skills, skills in teamwork/collaboration, and/or management skills (and can tie that to your teaching potential).
Help contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging are core values at UC Berkeley. Our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and academic and non-academic staff who share our commitment to these values. Successful candidates for our academic positions will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to advancing equity, inclusion, and belonging.
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
In searches when letters of reference are required all letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality (http://apo.berkeley.edu/ucb-confidentiality-policy) prior to submitting their letter.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of Full Vaccination or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) no later than the applicable deadline. Please refer to Appendix F, Section II.C. of the policy for the deadlines applicable to new University of California employees. (Capitalized terms in this paragraph are defined in the policy.) Federal, state, or local public health directives may impose additional requirements.
Positions that are represented by a collective bargaining unit or agent have particular contracts. For more information, please refer to the relevant contract: Lecturer contract, Postdoctoral contract, Research Series contract, and Librarian contract. Questions about represented positions can be directed to the hiring unit.
San Francisco Bay Area, California, U.S.A.
To apply, visit https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/JPF03425
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |