Postdoctoral Scholar - FEWSION Center Supply Chain Data Science
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We-faculty, staff, and administrators-thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU's culture of excellence.
Dr. Benjamin Ruddell's laboratory at Northern Arizona University seeks a postdoctoral researcher to perform research on North American supply chains and critical infrastructures, and in particular on the use of open source data fusion techniques to map and model those systems. The work involves data science, modeling, supply chain analysis, and systems engineering theory and methods. The postdoctoral researcher will have the opportunity to develop their research and communication skills by working with multiple large interdisciplinary research teams who are studying this problem. Desired qualifications include a PhD in Computer Science, Civil Engineering, Economics, or a related field, along with strong quantitative, data analysis, programming, visualization, and scientific writing skills.
Research & Publications
- Analysis and modeling, publication of results, and communication thereof with research team.
- Work collaboratively with research team to collect data and design analyses to address primary research questions.
- Design and implement research protocols and adapt new procedures, methods, and coding as appropriate to the project goals.
- Prepare and deliver presentations of research findings.
- Other administrative and research tasks related to the project, including organizing and training others in project protocols.
- PhD in Computer Science, Civil Engineering, Economics, or a related field.
- Strong quantitative, data analysis, programming, visualization, and scientific writing skills.
- Expertise in critical infrastructure modeling
- Expertise in remote sensing
- Expertise in supply chain modeling
- Expertise in transportation modeling
- Expertise in software engineering
- Expertise in Interdisciplinary engineering and social science
- Expertise in GIS programming
- Strong track record of lead-authored academic publication in a related field
- Eligible to obtain a US security clearance and/or permission to access Controlled Unclassified Information
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of the use of laboratory/field instruments and tools.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of the subject disciplines.
- Organizational and project management skills.
- Leadership, coordination, and/or supervision skills.
- Data collection, processing, and analysis.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Highly motivated to perform research in a collaborative environment.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships.
- Communicates effectively.
- Possesses strong problem solving, organizational, and analytical capabilities.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination Requirement
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $54,779. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
Post-Doctoral Scholars are hired on a contract basis, renewable each fiscal year for a maximum of 4 renewals (5 years) according to terms of the Arizona Board of Regents' Conditions of Post-Doctoral Service
. NAU offers an excellent benefit package to Post-Doctoral Scholars including generous health, dental and vision insurance; 10 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Participation in NAU retirement plans is not available to Post-Doctoral Scholars. More information on benefits at NAU is available at the NAU HR benefits page
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
July 27, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606426&PostingSeq=1