DEPARTMENT CHAIR OF FINANCE
Trulaske College of Business, University of Missouri
The University of Missouri (MU) Department of Finance in the Trulaske College of Business seeks an experienced and accomplished academic to serve as Department Chair. Successful candidates will possess strong leadership and mentoring skills to further advance excellence in the areas of teaching and scholarship. We welcome applications from high-profile academics with a strong record of success in research, teaching, and service. Reporting directly to the Dean of the Trulaske College of Business, the Department Chair, an endowed position, will collaborate closely with faculty to further strengthen existing strengths and collaborations, as well as expand upon those existing partnerships by further engaging with colleagues amongst other departments within the College of Business, MU’s Schools and Colleges, UM System, and external constituents.
- Develop a shared vision and strategy for the Department by actively engaging with diverse faculty, staff, and College leadership.
- Create and support a high-quality academic culture that stresses engagement, innovation, and collegiality in research and teaching.
- Serve as an approachable leader, role model, and strong advocate for the Department to achieve the highest possible level of excellence in research and scholarship.
- Advance key strategic initiatives by administering and providing leadership for the Department’s academic programs, activities, faculty, and staff.
- Provide leadership, development and mentoring to departmental faculty to enhance scholarly achievement, research, and publishing culture within the Department.
- Support the delivery of high-quality teaching across all Finance programs with an emphasis on student success.
- Enhance the creation/growth and delivery of programs with strong potential for net new revenue generation.
- Manage departmental staff and ongoing operations, including course scheduling, fiscal operations/budget management, the development of new courses and programs within the department, and responding to the needs of students.
- Engage with alumni, advisory board, and other external constituents to leverage their expertise and to encourage ongoing financial support of the Department, College, and University.
- Develop/implement recommendations for hiring, tenure, promotion, and evaluation of staff and both full-time and part-time faculty.
- Work closely with the department’s doctoral coordinator and research-active faculty to improve doctoral student recruiting, publishing, and placement
- Apply salary merit processes based on faculty performance in teaching, research, and service.
- Serve as a member of the College’s executive leadership team to advance the College’s goals and vision identified by the Dean.
- Conduct and collaborate on high-quality research leading to publications in top-tier journals.
- Engage in high quality teaching.
- Serve as a leader and an excellent faculty role model who inspires, encourages, and mentors colleagues and students.
- Provide thought leadership and share insights through engagement with diverse groups including faculty, students, alumni, industry professionals, and other external stakeholders.
- Terminal degree in Finance
Candidates will be evaluated on:
- Academic accomplishments that merit an appointment at the rank of an Associate Professor or Full Professor with tenure
- Prior administrative or leadership experience
- Strong commitment to inclusion, diversity, and equal opportunity in all activities
- Demonstrated commitment to research and mentorship
- A distinguished teaching record at an AACSB-accredited business school
- Visionary, open-minded, respectful, and approachable leadership style
- Committed to innovation and interested in advancing the work environment of interdisciplinary teams
- Experience in fundraising as well as program innovation
- Strong communication and excellent interpersonal skills to collaborate with partners within the College of Business, other Schools and Colleges on campus, and the UM System
- An understanding and commitment to the mission of an AAU Research 1 University, MU’s institutional values, and the land-grant mission
- Interest to further engage with potential donors and other external constituents to leverage and to encourage financial support for the Department, the College, and MU
About the Department of Finance at MU:
The Finance Department is home to a faculty with expertise and talents in a range of subjects in business. In addition to providing exceptional instruction, our faculty contribute to the body of knowledge with research published in the discipline’s premier academic journals.
Students earning an emphasis in Finance will be prepared for a variety of careers in financial management or in financial services such as investment management, commercial banking, investment banking, real estate, and risk management. The Finance Department is focused on preparing students to analyze financial data and forecasts to produce information and make investment, business, and financial decisions.
About the Robert J. Trulaske Sr. College of Business:
The Trulaske College of Business, founded in 1914, today enrolls more than 4,300 students. The college has four academic units – Accountancy, Finance, Management, and Marketing. The college offers an undergraduate degree in business administration, a full-time MBA degree and an execMBA for working professionals, a 150-hour program that confers both undergraduate and master’s degrees in Accountancy, an MS in Business, online graduate degrees in Accountancy and Finance, and PhD degrees in both Accountancy and Business Administration. The college takes great pride in its graduates. More than 32,000 alumni are contributing their expertise to the public and private sectors in every state in the U.S. and in a host of foreign countries.
The University anticipates this appointment starting in fall of 2022 and will be placed at the rank of either Associate Professor or Full Professor and will be an endowed position. The search process will be established to allow a selection likely in the spring of 2022. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. For full consideration, applicant material should be received by November 15, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
Candidates should include a cover letter outlining leadership qualifications, practice, teaching and/or research interests, as well as a detailed curriculum vitae. Later in the search process, additional information may be sought from interested candidates, along with names and contact information for at least three references. Candidates will be notified before references are contacted.
You can find the full position profile online at: https://umurl.us/mufinanceprofile
Please complete the brief online application. (Job ID 38541)
Nominations and inquires of interest may be sent in confidence to the University’s executive search partner:
Senior Director of Recruitment
University of Missouri System
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence. The University of Missouri is an Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer. To request ADA accommodations, please contact our ADA Coordinator at (573) 884-7278 (V/TTY). Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.