The Role of the Dean
The Dean of the School of Management will report to the University’s Rector (equivalent to the President or CEO) and the Vice-presidency for Academic Affairs. He or she will be part of the University’s Academic Council. The Dean acts as the leader of the School and is responsible to the Rector and the University’s Superior Council for promoting its academic policies, activities and standing, and for strengthening its financial performance.
The Dean should ascribe to the following values:
The Dean should have the following personal qualities:
· Strong listening and communication skills, openness to new ideas.
· Flexibility and the ability to understand different stakeholders’ dynamics and expectations.
· Ability to recognize his or her own limitations and ability to develop a top performing team to jointly lead the School.
· Genuine respect for the faculty and School staff.
· Academic legitimacy and a passion for the value of management education.
· A commitment to pursue the interests of the School and generate positive impact in organizations and society in general.
· Strong identification with the University and the School of Management’s mission and values.
· A commitment to innovation and continuous improvement in teaching and research practices.
The Dean is responsible for:
· Leading the School by crafting and articulating an overall growth strategy and vision in order to educate responsible leaders.
· Nurturing a thriving, high energy, engaged institution, with a cohesive and collaborative culture.
· Leading innovation related to changing learning methods and student demands.
· Leading well-articulated responses to challenges in MBA programs, including EMBA, and Executive Education (design, and enrolment).
· Fundraising and strategic stakeholder management.
· Responsibility for the school’s research portfolio.
· Leading the School’s further internationalization.
· Working effectively with key internal (University administration and governance bodies) and external (Businesses, Strategic partners, Multilateral institutions, Government, Donors, international partners, and accreditation agencies) stakeholders, to further the School’s purposes and interests.
· Engaging the Faculty and ensuring they are deployed effectively. Developing an effective Faculty recruitment, induction, development and retention strategy, and a sustainable incentive structure.
· Sustaining effective engagement with students and alumni.
· Actively managing/leveraging the impact of digital technology and responding to an evolving market.
· Strengthening the financial affairs of the School and increasing the surplus it generates.
· Promoting the academic policies, activities and standing of the School.
The role is full-time and based in Bogota, Colombia.
The ideal candidate’s experience would include:
· Strong academic credentials and fluency in Spanish and English.
· A demonstrated track record in managing a complex organization, in a role requiring engagement of a diverse range of external and internal stakeholders.
· A track record of leading through legitimacy and responsibility within an intellectual/academic environment.
· A track record of financial and administrative management.
· A global perspective, for example from having lived and worked in multiple countries.
The successful candidate should be able to:
· Demonstrate strategic capability and managerial skills. Shapes longer-term vision for the School and works with key internal and external stakeholders to build and evolve a credible strategy in line with that vision. Helps prioritize the key issues facing the School, working to gain active involvement of key stakeholders, and driving decisions as appropriate.
· Lead through legitimacy and responsibility. Empowers the Faculty and Staff to work together and perform. Empowers the School to identify and solve problems. Provides necessary support. Creates clear sense of community and joint accountability. Networks across boundaries to deliver as a team /share best practice. Is capable of taking responsibility for urgent decisions as required.
· Attract and develop the best people. Aims to build the capability of the whole School. Institutionalizes best practices. Anticipates future development needs across the School. Gets the best from the Faculty and Staff talents and motivations to address these needs.
· Create and consolidate a leading team. Being able to identify and engage the best faculty members to lead the School and transform ideas into projects to achieve the strategic objectives of the School.
· Engage effectively with the business world. Strengthening links with business leaders and organizations to understand their needs, adapt the school offerings to changing market requirements and insure a fluent and permanent flow of ideas and mutually beneficial exchanges.
· Build management education insight. Ensures the pursuit of academic excellence, and the development of relevant research activities in support of that goal. Recognizes the importance of being fluent in the fundamentals of leading-edge teaching and research. Stays close to the needs of students to ensure they receive appropriate support and involvement to excel. Leverages insights about the future of the Business Education marketplace with others inside and outside the School anticipating trends in the marketplace over the next few years.
· Engage students and alumni. Continually takes action to add more value to the School’s relationships with its students and alumni. Identifies and develops best practices for working with students and alumni where best placed to help. Champions excellence in teaching across the Faculty.
· Orchestrate change and innovation. Engage and mobilize Faculty and Staff to initiate change. Engages with Faculty throughout the change process to understand and address emotional reactions and maintain commitment.
· Deliver against objectives. Improves the School’s practices and processes for higher performance levels. Encouraging promising initiatives. Identifying effective ways to deliver new levels of performance or new goals possible.
Candidates interested in this position should send a motivation letter and the curriculum vitae to email@example.com