The Department of Marketing at the College of Business, Northern Illinois University is seeking to fill one instructor position designated as its Instructor and Director, Professional Sales Centerwho embraces NIU’s mission to empower students through educational excellence and experiential learning.
With approximately 16,000 students, Northern Illinois University (NIU) is one of the largest public universities in the state of Illinois. NIU strives to improve outcomes for all students by identifying and removing barriers that disproportionately hinder the academic achievement and student experience of historically and currently underserved populations. The AACSB-accredited College of Business provides a highly engaged learning experience for approximately 2,000 undergraduates and 900 graduate students and is deeply committed to building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working and learning environments for all of our students, staff, and faculty. NIU’s geographical reach extends beyond its main DeKalb campus (65 miles west of downtown Chicago, 60 miles from the O’Hare International Airport, and 40 miles west of Naperville – a booming community with one of the best school systems in the nation.) to satellite campuses in Naperville, Rockford, Hoffman Estates, and Chicago as well as to students online.
The Instructor and Director, Professional Sales Center will teach courses for the Department of Marketing and manage the NIU Sales Program. The non-instructional part of the role will include partnership development, program design, fundraising, and budget oversight.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Instructional duties involve teaching up to three 3-credit hour classes each fall and spring semester. Non-instructional duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop, maintain, and enhance corporate relationships with recruiters and sales professionals to provide employment opportunities for NIU sales students
- Create value through designing, building, promoting sales talent recruiting tools in addition to planning/executing program events to maximize employer exposure to sales students
- Collect annual corporate donations through sponsorship opportunities to engage NIU sales students while providing real-world application either in classroom or experiential learning environments
- Develop annual strategic sales program budget and manage both foundation and operating budgets with quarterly department chair consultation
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Required: MBA from an AACSB accredited university and at least 5 years of recent sales experience.
- 10+ years of sales experience in business-to-business marketplace.
- Management experience with direct reports/HR responsibilities.
- Previous experience as a Director of Professional Sales in an academic setting would be an advantage.