Assistant Professor of Economics
The Bill Munday School of Business
The Bill Munday School of Business at St. Edward's University invites applications for a full-time, nine-month, tenure-track assistant professor position in Economics to begin in Fall 2020. The successful candidate will be teaching a variety of courses including core economics courses, macroeconomic theory, labor, quantitative methods and trade at the undergraduate level and contribute to the scholarly activities at St. Edward's through research and community engagement. St. Edward's embraces excellence through diversity and encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups.
- St. Edward's University is a teaching institution and regards teaching as central to the mission. The teaching load is a 4-3 (total of 7 courses per academic year). Courses are delivered face-to-face or in hybrid format.
- Advise undergraduate students.
- Interact with local, regional, national, and international business, nonprofit, government, and community representatives to develop applied service learning projects and study opportunities for students.
- Participate in assessment of student performance in the discipline.
- Maintain commitment to social responsibility in the classroom setting in line with the University's mission.
- Meet School and University service requirements through participation on committees.
- Fulfill other required faculty responsibilities as outlined in the St. Edward's University Faculty Manual.
As the school pursues AACSB accreditation, applicants must have the following credentials:
- Ph.D. in Economics from an internationally recognized university
- Ability to teach macroeconomics, quantitative methods, trade and development at the undergraduate level preferred.
- A demonstrated record or strong potential for scholarship in peer reviewed publications.
- Evidence of excellent teaching potential is required.
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience with and commitment to working with a diverse population.
- Prior teaching experience and business industry experience preferred.
- Interest in our university's global initiatives preferred.
- Successful completion of a criminal and/or employment background check required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit an online application at: https://stedwards.applicantpro.com/jobs/1239451.html
A brief summary of Faculty Benefits can be found here: http://think.stedwards.edu/hr/node/332
We will interview candidates at the AEA meetings in San Diego in January, but will also consider applicants not attending the meetings. Please indicate in your cover letter whether or not you plan to attend.
Please attach a resume and cover letter to the application. In your cover letter, please discuss how your record of teaching, service and research demonstrates your commitment to diversity and inclusion as emphasized in the mission of St. Edward's University. The cover letter should also address your experiences or interest in global initiatives. Applicants who have not yet had the opportunity for such experience should note how their work will further the mission of St. Edward's University and our commitment to diversity and global initiatives.
The review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
St. Edward's University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
ABOUT ST. EDWARD'S UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students. An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at; https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summary
OTHER ITEMS TO KNOW
We are not offering sponsorship at this time.
A criminal history background check is required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
Reference #: J19099