The Department of Marketing in the College of Business at Northern Illinois University (NIU) is inviting applications for a tenure-track position at the Assistant or advanced Assistant Professor level beginning August 2023. A second position is desired as well, but is contingent upon funding.
With approximately 16,000 students, NIU is one of the largest public universities in the state of Illinois. NIU strives to improve outcomes for all students by identifying and removing barriers that disproportionately hinder the academic achievement and student experience of historically and currently underserved populations. Ranked in Business Week’s Top 100 Undergraduate Programs and by Crain’s Chicago Business as having one of Chicago’s Best MBA Programs, the AACSB-accredited College of Business provides a highly engaged learning experience for approximately 2,000 undergraduates and 900 graduate students and is deeply committed to building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working and learning environment for all of our students, staff, and faculty. NIU’s geographical reach extends beyond its main DeKalb campus (65 miles west of downtown Chicago, 60 miles from the O’Hare International Airport, and 40 miles west of Naperville – a booming community with one of the best school systems in the nation) to satellite campuses in Naperville, Chicago and abroad as well as to students online.
The Department of Marketing has 11 full-time faculty members and offers a diverse and collegial work environment in a state-of-the-art facility. The Department maintain extensive ties with the Chicago business community creating ample opportunities for personal and professional growth. This extensive corporate involvement allows the Department to provide generous support for research including resources for travel, data collection and research grants.
The Department has a vibrant fully online Master of Science in Digital Marketing (MSDM) program and provides excellent growth opportunities.
The Department of Marketing is seeking to hire a faculty member who embrace NIU’s mission of providing opportunity to a diverse student body by providing them with access to high quality education and hands-on involvement in research and community engagement. Primary teaching responsibilities will include teaching one or more of our Digital Marketing Strategy, Digital Analytics, Database Marketing, Search Engine Optimization, Content Marketing, Social Media Marketing and Advertising, Digital Marketing Campaign Measurement, Mobile Marketing courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
The faculty member will also be responsible for conducting research, publishing in the department approved academic journals, providing service to the Department, College and University, and engaging with the profession.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach 15 credit hours per academic year. During first two years, the load is reduced to 12 credit hours to allow additional focus time for research.
- Engage in scholarly activity that includes research and publication in approved academic journals.
- Contribute to committee service within the department, college, and university, and participate in strategic plan initiatives.
- Establish partnerships with professional organizations within both the Illinois region and nationwide.
Minimum Required Qualifications
The successful candidate will have a Ph.D. or D.B.A. from an AACSB accredited institution in marketing, or related discipline. A.B.D. candidates are expected to complete all requirements within one year of appointment.
- College-level teaching experience, publication evidence in digital marketing area, relevant business experience (see below), and interacting with a diverse student population are strongly desired.
- Two-five years of recent and closely related hands-on work experience and candidates with relevant industry and professional certifications (e.g., Google Search Console, Google Analytics, Hootsuite etc.) are strongly preferred.
- Teaching interests and demonstrated competence beyond the marketing area such as data analytics and artificial intelligence will be given preference. We welcome and expect candidates to perform cross-disciplinary teaching and research.