Aalto University is where science and art meet technology and business. We shape a sustainable future by making research breakthroughs in and across our disciplines, sparking the game changers of tomorrow and creating novel solutions to major global challenges. Our community is made up of 13 000 students, 400 professors and close to 4 500 other faculty and staff working on our dynamic campus in Espoo, Greater Helsinki, Finland. Diversity is part of who we are, and we actively work to ensure our community’s diversity and inclusiveness. This is why we warmly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to join our community.
The Aalto University School of Business is the leading business school in Finland. The School belongs to the select group of business schools that have been granted the most important international quality accreditations in its field. It aspires to be among the best business schools in Europe in terms of research excellence, a portfolio of pioneering B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D., and executive education programs, and contributions to society.
The Department of Management Studies invites applications for
Doctoral Candidate in sustainable business (full-time job)
We are now looking a junior academic interested in research and teaching in the domain of sustainable business. The position is within the Organizations and Management discipline in the Department of Management Studies
of Aalto University Business School.
The department hosts a strong Sustainability in Business
research group. The group is specialized in innovations towards sustainability, including circular economy, governance and institutions, and sustainability transitions. In addition to active publishing, the group is active in collaboration with companies and other stakeholders as well as creating societal impact. The department also has more general research groups on organization and management studies. Moreover, the department has a lively, international research community with numerous doctoral students and post-doctoral researchers from several countries. The working language at the department is English.
Department of Management Studies has existing research on sustainability innovation, business models for sustainability, alternative economies, and organizing for sustainability. This work offers a basis for rethinking how businesses operate, how new actors and individuals can make contributions to sustainability and how sustainability debates unfold across the societies and different global contexts.
Your role and goals
The positions enable qualified students to obtain a PhD degree in Organization and Management. The work is expected to lead to scientific publications in international academic journals.
The doctoral student’s research is expected to contribute to one of the core areas of the Sustainability in Business -research group:
- Circular economy
- Sustainability innovations
- Sustainability governance and institutions
- Business models for sustainability
- Organizing for sustainability
- Sustainability transitions
What we offer:
- Master degree in relevant discipline
- Track record of conducting high quality master thesis
- Excellent English language skills (written and verbal)
- Good communication skills
- Ability to collaborate in research groups, ability to pursue research independently and good self-management skills
- High level of commitment and motivation
- Important notice: Once the unit committee has selected a candidate, the candidate must still be approved by the School. Only after school-level approval will the candidate be able to start the position. More information: https://into.aalto.fi/display/endoctoralbiz/How+to+apply
How to apply
- We offer you a full-time position for 2 years with an extension possibility
- Thriving sustainability research community
- Stimulating research and working environment in one of the leading international universities
- Possibility to pursue cutting-edge research with a wide community of sustainability scholars and opportunities to participate in ground-breaking multi-disciplinary sustainability research.
- Possibility to attend of international academic conferences
- A salary, which will be defined according to Aalto University´s payroll system. As an employer, Aalto University provides excellent learning and development opportunities as well as occupational health care services, versatile exercise services and other employee benefits.
If you want to join our community, please submit your application enclosing all relevant documents through our recruitment system Workday
no later than August 28 , 2023
at 23:59 EET (UTC+2). Aalto University’s employees and visitors should apply for the position by using their existing Workday user account. Please see how to do it here
. Those chosen for the second round will be asked to send a short research proposal by October 15, 2023
Your application should include all
For more information
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names and contact information for references
For inquiries about this position, please, contact Prof. Minna Halme (minna.halme(at)aalto.fi), Prof. Samuli Patala (samuli.patala(at)aalto.fi) and Prof. Jukka Rintamäki (jukka.rintamaki(at)aalto.fi) and in questions related to the recruitment process, HR Advisor Jenna Knuutinen, email@example.com
(please, note that applications will be reviewed only after application time will expire and all candidates will be informed about the following process only after that. Please, do not send any attachments to HR via e-mail, all documents shall be provided through Workday -recruitment tool)
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
More about Aalto University: