The Director, Start-up Ventures will lead the entrepreneur support unit, including venture investment fund, within the University at Buffalo’s (UB) Business and Entrepreneur Partnerships to both transition University technologies into successful start-up companies and to dramatically accelerate the growth of early-stage technology companies. The ideal candidate will have expertise and experience in seed stage investing and entrepreneurial management, and knowledge of fund raising, R&D, product development, marketing, and general management. This position reports to the Associate Vice President, Economic Development.
The Director, Start-up Ventures will have direct and indirect oversight of innovation hub activities, supported by a five-year, $32 million dollar award provided by NYS Empire State Development. The hub will support entrepreneurial growth in WNY through funds to invest in proof-of-concept and pre-seed/ seed investments as well as programming to support early stage and later stage technology and life science start-ups.
This role requires both a big picture, strategic thinker and someone to be directly involved in the work of starting and growing new businesses. Focus will be on launching and managing the Investment Fund. The individual should be organized, self-motivated, and self-directed, with excellent human relation/communication skills.
- Experience in raising or making equity or private investments
- Demonstrated knowledge of development and funding of technology companies
- Experience leading, coaching, or investing in scalable, technology-driven companies
- Extensive relevant work experience that can be drawn upon in advising and mentoring early stage companies
- 5 years of experience in a related industry
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline
- Existing network of contacts in the business, technology, and venture community
- Experience making venture investments
- Startup company CEO or Senior Management experience in one or more companies that successfully took an early stage company through product development to commercial sales
- Startup company CEO or Senior Management experience in a company that has delivered a successful exit to investors (IPO or M&A)
Contact’s Name Kimberly Kohl
Contact’s Title Business Manager
Contact’s Email email@example.com
Contact’s Phone 716-645-8135