Position overview Percent time:
Part-Time Instructor Pool Berkeley Global Access Career Development and Experiential Learning UC Berkeley Extension-Berkeley Global
Part-time temporary appointments are offered on a course-by-course basis. Anticipated start:
Screening of applicants begins immediately and will continue as needed; some appointments may begin as early as the Spring 2022 semester. Position duration:
Appointment length is based upon course section schedule(s). Appointments may be renewable based on need, funding, and performance. Application Window
November 10th, 2021
Next review date:
Tuesday, Apr 12, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Thursday, Nov 10, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Position description Job Type
Academic - Non-Tenure Track
UC Berkeley Extension, the professional and continuing education division at the University of California, Berkeley, invites applications for a pool of qualified instructors to teach on-site or hybrid courses for our Berkeley Global Access (visiting student) Programs.
The mission of the Berkeley Global Access (visiting student) Programs is to extend the reach of UC Berkeley's excellence by providing access and educational opportunities to a broad and diverse community of learners. Our Global Access Programs bring more than 400 students from 20 countries each semester to learn and grow here in Berkeley. We offer academically rigorous, short-term programs for high school graduates, undergraduate and graduate students, and working professionals. Outside of class, students experience life in the San Francisco Bay Area.
We are seeking dynamics instructors with a commitment to lead and teach diverse visiting students in a variety of subject areas with a focus on acculturation to U.S. university academics and culture, successful academic studying tips, coaching and/or resources on career and professional growth, and integration of experiential learning through hands on experiences outside of the classroom.
All courses are offered in-person on the UC Berkeley campus with some online instructional components.
We hope that you will consider becoming a part of this great opportunity to support diverse students at a global scale to experience the vibrant and unique Berkeley learning community, as well as the larger Bay Area/Silicon Valley surrounding ecosystem. The pool will remain in place for one calendar year; those interested in remaining in the pool beyond the advertised final closing date must reapply. The number of these positions varies from semester to semester, depending on the needs of the department.
We are seeking qualified applicants who possess current subject matter expertise and/or teaching knowledge in the following course subjects.
Business, Entrepreneurship and Career Services
- Business and Entrepreneurship Acumen (Soft Skills)
- Business and Entrepreneurship Career Services, Professional Development and Coaching
Other Career Development and Experiential Learning Subjects
- Chemistry Career Services, Professional Development and Coaching
Instructor duties include but are not limited to:
- Other (Please specify in your cover letter)
- Complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Berkeley.
- Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: updating and submitting syllabi using approved syllabus template; signing semester contract(s); communicating required texts and materials; communicating classroom technology and support needs.
- Make appropriate adjustments to continually improve the syllabus, curriculum and course materials. May be based upon programmatic and/or student feedback.
- Prepare and deliver course materials, lectures/presentations, and design learning assessments.
- Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning.
- Stay current within the subject, discipline or field of practice.
- Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum.
- Utilize course support platforms, including the Canvas Learning Management System and Zoom Pro (as applicable).
- Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline/explain the grading policies for the course.
- Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner.
- Employ culturally competent and inclusive teaching methodologies in the classroom (including teaching non-native speakers and/or students with academic letters of accommodations for learning disabilities).
- Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes and assign grades.
- Post final student grades to the transcript system within two weeks of course completion.
- Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Program Director as needed.
- Retain student records according to University policies.
- May be appointed by department to serve as a curriculum/course developer to write original course curriculum and content. Collaborate with academic department and/or instructional designer(s) on project deliverables and deadlines, including the course design/roadmap, learning strategies/activities, and media production/recordings. May develop and provide raw original content for the following: the course syllabus, learning objectives, lecture segments and scripts, reading assignments, assessments/assignments, discussion prompts, course midterm exam(s) or project(s), final exam(s) or project(s), student instructions, etc.
Access to UC Berkeley library stacks and online resources, free and discounted software, and professional development through LinkedIn Learning. Workers compensation and general liability insurance coverage, Medicare contributions, and mandatory Safe Harbor Defined Contribution Plan contributions (in lieu of Social Security).
Berkeley Global Access (visiting student) Programs
Qualifications Basic qualifications
(required at time of application)
Bachelor's degree or equivalent international degree required.
(required at time of start)
- For those who are not US citizens or permanent residents, a legal permit that allows work in the United States (such as a US visa that allows employment) is required by the start date of the position. Due to the part-time, temporary nature of instructor positions, UC Berkeley Extension is unable to provide US visa/work permits for this position.
Application Requirements Document requirements
- Advanced degree in subject area preferred.
- 1 or more years of professional and/or academic experience in the course subject.
- Experience teaching in a U.S. college/university environment
- Experience in course development, including creating original academic content such as syllabi, learning objectives, lectures/presentations/scripts, learning activities, assignments, assessments, exams, and quizzes.
- Effective organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Effective verbal/written communication and presentation skills (English).
- Ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and work within a team environment.
- Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) instructional and other technology, such as: Learning Management Systems (Canvas); lecture/presentation capture applications (Camtasia or Panopto); online video conferencing (Zoom); Microsoft Office (Word and PowerPoint); Google docs and slides; file sharing (Google drive or Dropbox); online shared calendars (Google calendar).
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Examples of recent syllabi or course outlines
Statement of Teaching - Please include information about how your pedagogical approaches and classroom strategies contribute to an equitable and inclusive classroom environment.
- 3 required (contact information only)
Please provide three names of references (direct supervisors/managers only) along with contact information at time of application. References will only be solicited for finalists.
Apply link: https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/JPF03228
Help contact: email@example.com
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging are core values at UC Berkeley. Our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and academic and non-academic staff who share our commitment to these values. Successful candidates for our academic positions will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to advancing equity, inclusion, and belonging.
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
In searches when letters of reference are required all letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality (http://apo.berkeley.edu/ucb-confidentiality-policy
) prior to submitting their letter.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19
. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of Full Vaccination or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) no later than the applicable deadline. For new University of California employees, the applicable deadline is eight weeks after their first date of employment. (Capitalized terms in this paragraph are defined in the policy.)
To apply, visit https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/JPF03228