Tenure Track Faculty Position
Department of International Business and Marketing
College of Business Administration
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona invites applications for a tenure track faculty position of Assistant Professor in the Department of International Business and Marketing. Cal Poly Pomona is one of three polytechnic universities in the 23-campus California State University system and among 11 such institutions nationwide. Since its founding in 1938, Cal Poly Pomona students participate in an integrative experiential learning education that is inclusive, relevant, and values diverse perspectives and experiences. With a variety of degree programs in the arts, humanities, sciences, engineering, and professional disciplines, the university is well known for its learn-by-doing approach and Teacher Scholar Model.
The university is noted for its scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, which was once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg. We acknowledge that Cal Poly Pomona resides on the territorial and homelands of the Tongva and Tataavium people who are the traditional land caretakers of Tovaangar. The university’s nearly 30,000 students are taught and mentored by the campus’s more than 1,400 faculty as part of 54 baccalaureate and 29 master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in educational leadership.
Highly regarded among its peer institutions, Cal Poly Pomona is No. 2 in the U.S. News and World Report rankings of top public regional universities in the west and was named the No. 15 best value college in the nation by Money Magazine. Cal Poly Pomona, a Hispanic-Serving Institution and an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution, stands as a national leader in promoting social mobility, and was placed among the 25 top institutions in the country in awarding bachelor’s degrees to minoritized students by Diverse Issues in Higher Education.
The Cal Poly Pomona campus is located less than 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles at the intersection of Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties. It is within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains and deserts. For additional information about the university, please visit www.cpp.edu, and for more about faculty life, please see YourLife@CPP.
Student Population. California residents comprise the majority (96%) of applicants to undergraduate programs at Cal Poly Pomona – nearly half (49%) of new students were transfers in Fall 2020. 58% of Cal Poly Pomona students are first generation, 70% receive financial aid, and 44% qualify as Pell-eligible. The university enrolls a diverse student body that identifies as 49% Latinx, 21% Asian, 15% White, 3% Black, 5% International 3% two or more races, 3% unknown and less than 1% Native Hawaiian or Native Pacific Islander and less than 1% Native American Indigenous. 39% of the student body were STEM majors with the top enrolled programs including psychology, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, biology and computer science.
Inclusive Excellence Criteria. We aspire to be the model inclusive polytechnic university in the nation. We have a strong commitment to inclusive excellence and to educational experiences that leverage the diverse perspectives and experiences needed to succeed and thrive in a diverse society.
Tenure track faculty hires will demonstrate a commitment and record of contributions through their teaching, scholarship, or service to these inclusive excellence criteria (a minimum of two must be addressed in the Student Success Statement):
- Integrates the values of equity and inclusivity into their teaching, scholarship and/or service contributions with diverse student populations;
- Incorporates the contributions and struggles of historic ethnic minority groups and communities into their teaching, scholarly work, and/or service contributions;
- Adopts teaching strategies that supports the learning and success of students from diverse student populations;
- Mentors and engages diverse student populations in discovery, scholarship, and creative activities;
- Engages students in problem-based projects and learning that address the needs of diverse communities;
- Possesses knowledge of challenges and barriers for underrepresented students and faculty within the discipline;
- Mentors and assists diverse student populations interested in pursuing graduate education;
- Engages in community-responsive action research or service with diverse student populations and communities;
- Has experience in or demonstrates a commitment to adopting experiential learning activities and pedagogy with diverse student populations and communities; and
- Has expertise in or demonstrated commitment to teaching, scholarship and/or service that contributes to access, diversity, and equal opportunity in higher education.
College of Business Administration
The College of Business Administration is accredited at both the undergraduate and graduate levels by AACSB International – The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. The College offers comprehensive undergraduate programs as well as MBA, MSA (MS in Accountancy), MSIS (MS in Information Security), and MSBA (MS in Business Analytics). The College occupies a state-of-the-art, three-building complex housing over 100 faculty and staff, classrooms, lecture halls, labs, conference rooms and student club rooms, among others. The college has nine centers and labs, including the Center for Customer Insights and Digital Marketing, the Center for Consultative Selling, the Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, and NASACPP Business Startup Program, where IBM faculty members collaborate within and across disciplines for research and innovative educational programs.
International Business and Marketing Department
IBM is one of six departments in the CPP College of Business Administration, which serves over 6,000 students. The IBM Department has approximately 17 full-time faculty members and about 1,300 majors, 900 of whom focus on one of six career-tracks in marketing and 400 of whom specialize in some area of international business. The faculty holds Ph.D. degrees from some of the top research universities in the U.S. The faculty are active in research, collaborate on research projects, and publish in well-respected peer reviewed journals. Our faculty embraces the Teacher-Scholar model. We demonstrate academic quality, relevance and excellence through teaching, learning, scholarship, and creative activities with student centered faculty in an evidence-based culture. The department has recently approved the proposal for M.S. in Digital Marketing program with a goal of starting the program in Fall 2023, pending final approval from the university, to complement the college’s growing portfolio of master’s programs.
The International Business and Marketing (IBM) Department in the College of Business Administration at Cal Poly Pomona in Pomona, CA invites applicants for the tenure track position of Assistant Professor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Department seeks a candidate who strives for excellence in both teaching and research in a highly collegial working environment. The department faculty are outstanding teacher-scholars who maintain active research agendas and excellence in teaching by including students in their research and bringing their research to the classroom. The new faculty member is expected to teach undergraduate and graduate courses, maintain a well-defined stream of research, advise students, and provide service to the university and the profession. Service will include providing outreach to industry on behalf of the department, college and university.
- Ph.D. in Marketing or other related field from an accredited university. ABDs will be considered if degree is completed by start of the appointment
- A Student Success Statement that demonstrates your commitment and record of contributions through applicant’s teaching, scholarship, or service, by addressing at least two of the inclusive excellence criteria listed above. (Limit to 2 pages)
- Demonstrated potential as a strong teacher-scholar by:
- Providing evidence of exemplary teaching commensurate with experience (at least one year of teaching experience in core marketing courses is required)
- Demonstrating a commitment to publishing in peer-reviewed journals listed in Cabell’s or on the Australian Business Deans’ Journal List)
- Demonstrated ability to teach various required core courses in Marketing or International Business
- Strong oral communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in or clear ability to teach at both undergraduate and graduate levels in one or more areas of
- Marketing (strategies, promotion, digital and social media, retailing, marketing research/marketing science, text mining/analytics, etc.)
- International business (global business, importing/exporting, business negotiation, etc.)
- At least 3 years of full-time industry experience in marketing or international business.
- Demonstrated the commitment in innovation, experiential learning, and collegiality.
Conditions of Employment:
The person offered this position is required to pass a background check.
Application materials must be submitted online via PageUp at https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/po/en-us/job/517150/international-business-and-marketing-assistant-professor.
General questions can be submitted to the following email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A complete application package consists of copies of the following:
- A cover letter clearly stating candidate’s expertise pertaining to the position
- A current curriculum vitae
- Five references with contact information
- Evidence of excellence in teaching and research
- A Student Success Statement as specified above
To be included in the first review, completed applications must be received by September 4th , 2022 after which a formal screening of completed files will start and continue until the position is filled.
Finalists for the position will be required to:
- Provide three letters of recommendation dated within the past two years
- Provide an official transcript with highest degree earned
- Teach a marketing class as a guest speaker
- Conduct a research presentation