Aalto University is an international community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto University has six schools with nearly 20 000 people, over 400 of which are professors. Our campus is located in Espoo, Finland. School of Engineering is an international unit with nearly 70 talented professors and 3400 full-time students, including doctoral students.
Real Estate Research Group at Aalto University School of Engineering, Department of Built Environment invites applications for
Doctoral Candidate in Real Estate Economics
We are looking for an excellent PhD candidate to join our Real Estate Research Group. Our international research group has around twenty researchers (PhD candidates and postdocs) from all fields of Real Estate, including Economic law, Land management, Sustainable real estate business, and Real estate economics and valuation. We also have close collaboration with several international research units and provide a lively research environment with active peer-support.
The position is open for all fields of real estate economics. Our current research themes include i.a. environmental and climate law, land use and building law, management and development of the cadastral system, land policy, life cycle management and technologies, new business models in real estate, carbon mitigation in the built environment, energy transition in built environment, dynamics of real estate markets, value formation, investments, valuation, real estate finance and future studies.
This position aims to provide a smooth transition from the Master’s studies to Doctoral studies. Thus, it is specifically targeted to those students, who have not graduated yet. We welcome applications from students in their first year of the Master’s programme as well as those who are already working on their Master’s thesis.
You should have
- Conducting PhD research in Real Estate Economics (including research planning, literature review, proposing theoretical framework, collecting and analysing data, publishing research findings, writing research articles, presenting the results in international conferences).
- Collaborating with the research partners and/or stakeholders
- Teaching and/or assisting with organizing Real Estate courses (10% of work time)
- May also include participating in other research projects and acquisition of research funding
What we offer
- completed the majority of your coursework in your master’s studies in Real Estate Economics or USP in Real Estate Economics, and be about to start or finish your master’s thesis, or
- have completed the common studies in the Real Estate Economics major or in the USP in Real Estate Economics major.
- High motivation and capability to conduct full-time doctoral studies. At the beginning you can also work part time for the position until you finish your master’s courses.
- Excellent Study performance (B.Sc. and M.Sc.), M.Sc. average grade clearly above the general average
- A maximum 1-year position until finishing the Master’s degree with a possibility of extension to up to 3 years based on performance. For those students close to graduation, we offer a 3-year position for doctoral studies.
- Starting salary € 2,577 (after finishing the Master’s degree). For students who have not graduated yet, the salary is based on credits attained.
- Total annual work time 1,612 h (no office hours)
Starts immediately, in August/September 2022 or as agreed.
How to apply
The applications for the doctoral candidate position are to be submitted through eRecruitment System (link 'Apply now’) by June 19th, 2022
. Email applications will not be taken into account. Please note: Aalto University’s employees and visitors should apply for the position via our internal system Workday -> find jobs (not external aalto.fi webpage on open positions) by using their existing Workday user account.
Potential and interested candidates are encouraged to contact us even if they are still finishing their MSc degrees, as the starting time is flexible.
Required application documents:
- A motivation letter. In the motivation letter you should describe briefly why you are interested in the position. In case you already have some thoughts or ideas about your potential research topic, you can also briefly describe those in the motivation letter.
- Transcript of study records
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
For more information
Please contact prof. Ari Ekroos (firstname.lastname@example.org)
More about Aalto University: