Would you like to receive more jobs like this via email?
If you'd like, Academic Keys can email you similar job openings. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Would you like to receive more jobs like this via email?
Search for University Jobs in Business
Instructor Pool K-12 and Pre-College Education Programs
University of California Berkeley
Instructor Pool K-12 and Pre-College Education Programs UC Berkeley Extension
Salary range: A reasonable estimate for this position is $1,500 - $4,000 per course. Instructor compensation is determined by course length, number of units, enrollment, budgetary considerations, and other factors.
Percent time: Part-time temporary appointments are offered by agreement on a course-by-course basis.
Anticipated start: Some appointments may begin as early as the summer 2023 semester.
Review timeline: Applicants are considered for positions as needs arise; the existence of this pool does not guarantee that a position is available.
Position duration: Appointment length is based upon course section schedule(s). Appointments may be renewable based on need, funding, and performance.
Open date: March 16, 2023
Next review date: Friday, Mar 31, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Tuesday, Oct 31, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Academic - Non-Tenure Track
UC Berkeley Extension, the professional and continuing education division at the University of California, Berkeley, invites applications for a pool of qualified instructors to teach in-person and online courses for our K-12 and Pre-College Education Programs.
UC Berkeley Extension seeks dynamic instructors with a commitment to high school and undergraduate education to lead one or more courses each year in K-12 and Pre-College subjects for U.S. and international students. The pool will remain in place for one calendar year; those interested in remaining in the pool beyond the advertised final closing date must reapply. The number of these positions varies from semester to semester, depending on the needs of the department.
Courses are offered online or in-person:
- Online instruction is delivered asynchronously through our learning management system (Canvas) or through live lectures (Zoom).
- Classroom instruction takes place in Berkeley, California (U.S.A.) on weekdays (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm).
We are seeking qualified applicants who possess current subject matter expertise and/or teaching knowledge in the following subjects/specializations (but not limited to):
Business Management and Entrepreneurship
- Business Management
Computer Science, Programming, and Data Science
- Introduction to Coding and Computer Science
- Intermediate Coding (Python)
- Introduction to Statistics
- Introduction to Data Science
- Classroom Teaching Experience
- Synchronous Online Teaching Experience (online lectures via Zoom)
- Asynchronous Online Teaching Experience (via learning management system)
Instructor duties include but are not limited to:
- Complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Berkeley.
- Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner, including: updating and submitting syllabi using approved syllabus template; communicating required texts and materials; communicating classroom technology and support needs.
- Make appropriate adjustments to continually improve the syllabus, curriculum and course materials. May be based upon programmatic and/or student feedback.
- Prepare and deliver course materials, lectures/presentations, and design learning assessments.
- Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning.
- Stay current within the subject, discipline or field of practice.
- Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum.
- Utilize course support platforms, including the Canvas Learning Management System and Zoom Pro (as applicable).
- Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline/explain the grading policies for the course.
- Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner.
- Employ culturally competent and inclusive teaching methodologies in the classroom (including teaching non-native speakers and/or students with academic letters of accommodations for disabilities).
- Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes and assign grades.
- Post final student grades to the transcript system within two weeks of course completion.
- Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Program Director/Manager as needed.
- Retain student records according to University policies.
Basic qualifications (required at time of application)
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent international degree
Additional qualifications (required at time of start)
- All work must be performed in the United States, whether in person or online. For those who are not US citizens or permanent residents, a legal permit that allows work in the United States (such as a US visa that allows employment) is required by the start date of the position. Due to the part-time, temporary nature of instructor positions, UC Berkeley Extension is unable to provide US visa/work permits for this position.
- Advanced degree in course subject.
- 5 or more years of professional and/or academic experience in the course subject.
- 3 or more years of teaching experience in the course subject at a U.S. high school/college/university institution.
- Experience in course development, including creating original academic content such as syllabi, learning objectives, lectures/presentations/scripts, learning activities, assignments, assessments, exams, and quizzes.
- Experience teaching online and/or developing academic content for online courses.
- Ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information.
- Effective verbal/written communication and presentation skills (English).
- Effective organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and work within a team environment.
- Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) instructional and other technology, such as: Learning Management Systems (Canvas); lecture/presentation capture applications (Panopto); online video conferencing (Zoom); Microsoft Office (Word and PowerPoint); file sharing (Google drive or Dropbox); and Google tools (email, calendar, docs, sheets, slides, etc).
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Statement on Contributions to Advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including information about your understanding of these topics, your record of activities to date, and your specific plans and goals for advancing equity and inclusion if hired at Berkeley (for additional information go to https://ofew.berkeley.edu/recruitment/contributions-diversity).
- Cover Letter (Optional)
- Misc / Additional - e.g., Teacher Evaluations, Sample Syllabi
- References are requested from candidates at the interviewing stage, and references are only contacted for finalists.
Apply link: https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/JPF03876
Help contact: email@example.com
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging are core values at UC Berkeley. Our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and academic and non-academic staff who share our commitment to these values. Successful candidates for our academic positions will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to advancing equity, inclusion, and belonging.
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
In searches when letters of reference are required all letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality prior to submitting their letter.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California Policy on Vaccination Programs - With Updated Interim Amendments. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of receiving the COVID-19 Vaccine Primary Series or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, Religious Objection, and/or Deferral based on pregnancy or recent COVID-19 diagnosis and/or treatment) no later than the applicable deadline. All Covered Individuals must also provide proof of receiving the most recent CDC-recommended COVID-19 booster or properly decline such booster no later than the applicable deadline. New University of California employees should refer to Exhibit 2, Section II.C. of the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Attachment for applicable deadlines. All Covered Individuals must also provide proof of being Up-To-Date on seasonal influenza vaccination or properly decline such vaccination no later than the applicable deadline. Please refer to the Seasonal Influenza Vaccination Program Attachment. (Capitalized terms in this paragraph are defined in the policy.) Federal, state, or local public health directives may impose additional requirements.
Positions that are represented by a collective bargaining unit or agent have particular contracts. For more information, please refer to the relevant contract: Lecturer (IX) contract, Postdoctoral (PX) contract, Academic Researcher (RA) contract, and Librarian (LX ) contract. Questions about represented positions can be directed to the hiring unit.
San Francisco Bay Area, California (U.S.A.)
To apply, visit https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/JPF03876
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |