The Department of Operations Management & Information Systems (OM&IS) within the College of Business at Northern Illinois University (NIU) invites applicants interested in contributing to a caring, committed, and collaborative professional environment that focuses on promoting excellence and engagement in teaching and learning, research and scholarship, and outreach and service. This Assistant or Associate Professor tenure-track position begins in Fall 2024 and carries a 15-hour annual teaching load of data analytics, supply chain management, or information systems courses at the Bachelor and/or Master level. This presents a rewarding professional opportunity for a highly qualified, enthusiastic, and motivated individual to join this well-established and highly recognized department as it continues to grow and further enhance its regional, national, and international reputation. The OM&IS Department, in addition to its successful undergraduate program, has two successful Master level programs: M.S. in Management Information Systems and an online M.S. in Data Analytics. A successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff.
With approximately 16,000 students, Northern Illinois University (NIU) is one of the largest public universities in the state of Illinois. NIU strives to improve outcomes for all students by identifying and removing barriers that disproportionately hinder the academic achievement and student experience of historically and currently underserved populations. Ranked in Business Week’s Top 100 Undergraduate Programs and by Crain’s Chicago Business as having one of Chicago’s Best MBA Programs, the AACSB-accredited College of Business provides a highly engaged learning experience for approximately 2,000 undergraduates and 900 graduate students and is deeply committed to building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working and learning environment for all of our students, staff, and faculty. NIU’s geographical reach extends beyond its main DeKalb campus (65 miles west of downtown Chicago, 60 miles from the O’Hare International Airport, and 40 miles west of Naperville – a booming community with one of the best school systems in the nation) to satellite campuses in Naperville, Chicago and abroad as well as to students online.
The Assistant or Associate Professor will be responsible for carrying a 15-hour annual teaching load of data analytics, supply chain management, or information systems courses at the Bachelor and/or Master level.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Major responsibilities include – but are not limited to – providing excellent teaching to undergraduate and/or graduate students; productively engaging in scholarly activities; positively contributing to committee service within the department, college, and university; participating in student mentorship, research, recruitment and retention initiatives; and establishing partnerships with professional organizations within both the Illinois region and nationwide.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Ph.D. in Data Analytics, Supply Chain Management, Information Systems, or closely related field from an accredited institution.
- Candidates with non-business degrees must have demonstrated competence in areas at the intersection of data analytics and technology.
- While applicants who have completed all but dissertation (ABD) may apply, their contract is contingent upon doctorate degree completion by the position’s start date.
- Successful candidates will have strong written and oral communication skills as well as the knowledge and desire to teach in areas that complement both the Department’s current and expected future programs and existing faculty members’ expertise.
- Proven or potential excellence in teaching data analytics, data visualization, artificial intelligence, machine learning, supply chain management, blockchain, and programming.
- Research, teaching or industry experience in artificial intelligence, supply chain management or data science