The Integrated Innovation Institute (iii) at Carnegie Mellon University, seeks an adjunct professor for the fall 2019 term for the Business Models & Strategy course. This position would teach students within the Master of Integrated Innovation for Products & Services (MIIPS) degrees. This position can accommodate teaching in the evening to work with an instructor’s full-time daytime job schedule. Qualified candidates will have previous teaching and work experience in business management, entrepreneurship or strategy development. Teaching skills should include using assigned textbook readings, case study analyses, group discussions, written assignments, oral presentations, and individual research.
- Has experience in developing and proposing business models within an organization or start up. Also has expertise consistent with our "engineering, design, business" identity. Note that although the examples below reference "ten years" of experience, we will consider the expertise of candidates as opposed to their number of years of experience.
- Example 1: An MBA plus ten years of experience in business development.
- Example 2: A Ph.D. in mechanical engineering with ten years of experience as a serial entrepreneur.
- At least a master’s degree in a related field
- Previous teaching experience
– Work experience related to products and/or service development
Below is the standard course description for Business Models & Strategy within the MIIPS degrees:
This course is about the development of executable strategies for entrepreneurial efforts. In order for entrepreneurs to be successful, the ability to create a business model and roadmap for execution is essential. Strategy is about making decisions and having alternatives for courses of actions. This course will focus on effective approaches and measures in order to make things happen under tight time and financial considerations. The course will explore how to apply the tools of strategy and business models in order to deliver new business creation. Topics include applying an evaluation process for the validity of a business concept, understanding the drivers for a strategic roadmap for new business execution, using a toolkit to shape a strategy with scenarios for choices of action, identifying the key measures of success. Through teams, students will form specific approaches for selected new business concepts and share them in class discussions.
This course is part of the MIIPS required curriculum, which cross-trains students across engineering, design and business disciplines to become elite innovators. Details about the full curriculum can be viewed here: https://www.cmu.edu/iii/degrees/miips/curriculum.html.
Applications must include all of the following:
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter/Teaching Philosophy
- Unofficial copies of all transcripts
- Names and contact information for 3 professional references
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
The Master of Integrated Innovation for Products & Services is a professional degree that trains the next generation of innovators, design thinkers, disruptors, and world changers. Students in the MIIPS
degrees come from various backgrounds in engineering, design and business. Learn more at www.cmu.edu/iii