Assistant Professor of Finance
The American University of Paris invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Finance beginning 1 August 2023. This full-time position is housed in the Department of Economics & Management.
Qualifications: A PhD in Finance or closely related field is required at the time of appointment (1 August 2023). The successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record or potential for teaching excellence, service to the institution, scholarly research, and publication in the field of finance.
Candidates will be expected to teach undergraduate and graduate level finance courses that may include corporate finance, investments, sustainable finance, international finance, and computational finance. Capacity and willingness to teach undergraduate courses in accounting is likewise desirable. Experience with or an interest in teaching or research in the areas of social enterprise or non-governmental organizations is interesting in the context of our undergraduate and graduate programs. Applicants with experience in a liberal arts environment and an interest in participating in AUP’s core curriculum are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants having completed the coursework for a PhD but not yet defended their doctoral dissertation with a strong teaching, service, or research agenda may be considered for the position.
Faculty at AUP must have a commitment to liberal arts education in a highly international environment and pursue interdisciplinary education and research. The university offers support and mentorship to new faculty. We seek engaged teacher-scholars and have high expectations of teaching and scholarly research for promotion. AUP follows an American model of academic promotion (Assistant, Associate, Professor).
European Union citizenship or legal right to work in France, while helpful, is not necessary at the time of application.
The Institution: Founded in 1962, The American University of Paris (AUP) is a small, undergraduate and Master degree-granting institution with a Liberal Arts core, dedicated to the advancement of the Arts & Sciences in an international and multicultural environment. AUP brings together the values of the American higher education system with its location in Paris and Europe. Located at the crossroads of American and European institutions of higher education and research, AUP facilitates its faculty’s development of an international and stimulating professional network. The Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools accredits AUP in the United States of America. AUP has cooperative agreements with USA and European-based universities.
The Department: The Economics and Management Department at The American University of Paris is a well-established department that provides a collegial work environment where responsibilities are shared among colleagues. The Department offers support and mentorship to new faculty by helping them to establish intellectual networks on campus. Valuing the ideas of liberal arts, faculty aims for a contextualized and active learning approach. Emphasizing interdisciplinary education and research, the department maintains close ties with faculty in other disciplines within the University as well as with research centres, universities, and industry in France and globally.
- The full-time teaching load consists of six courses per year
- Teaching responsibilities will primarily be concentrated in the department’s International Finance major and MSc Program in International Management
- Professional mentorship is an important component of our work with students
- Developing and maintaining an active research agenda
- Commitment to the values of liberal arts education, scholarship, and teaching
- Service to the department (contributing to curricular development and innovation, advising students)
- Service to the university (participation in committee work, assessment, interdisciplinary collaboration)
- Participating in faculty governance, including attending full faculty, department, and committee meetings
- Working in a professional and collegial manner with the university community
- Maintaining compliance with policies and procedures in the Faculty Manual
Applications: Please submit your application through Interfolio here to include:
- cover letter
- curriculum vitae
- statement of pedagogical philosophy with evidence of teaching effectiveness
- statement of research interests
- a writing sample of recent scholarship
- three confidential letters of reference
The search committee will begin reviewing applications on 28 November 2022. The search will continue until the position is filled.