THE COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES
The College of Arts and Sciences is the first home for all students enrolled at VinUniversity as they embark on a nuanced journey of self-discovery in a state-of-the-art tertiary education designed in collaboration with leading universities in the world, top minds in Vietnam and passionate stakeholders. In this sense, General Education at VinUniversity is essentially a “gateway” between past and future, theory and practice, and local and global. This is where students, faculty and staff collectively take the first step towards realizing VinUniversity’s mission of contributing to the betterment of Vietnam and the world.
Our College of Arts and Sciences takes inspiration from the three principles of education reform, namely “dan toc” [nation], “khoa hoc” [science] and “dai chung” [people] put forth by Vietnam’s longest-serving Minister of Education, the late Professor Nguyen Van Huyen, who strived to develop an education system to build a modern nation for all Vietnamese citizens in the trying times of post-independence Vietnam.
For the betterment of Vietnam as a nation and to contribute to the world as members of the global community, General Education at VinUniversity begins with developing in each individual a conscientious and critical understanding of the self, Vietnam and the world. To develop a reflexive understanding of the self, we encourage students to step out of their comfort zone, self-cultivate an open mind, and most importantly, dare to dream! Yet, to be able to do so means developing a grounded and critical understanding of the past and present of Vietnam, how we understand ourselves and how others try to understand us, and finally, how we could together look to the future. To find our place in the world and to have a voice in how our future could be, General Education at VinUniversity is thoroughly infused with a global-local approach in the design of class-based courses and co-curricular programs. We approach the global with a view that “digital is the new global” and ask, “What are the possibilities we may uncover in the age of globalization underlined by digital infusion?”
To fully explore possibilities of how the digital could change the world and help us fulfil the primary mission of VinUniversity, the College of Arts and Sciences at VinUni aspires to become a model bona-fide interdisciplinary core curriculum in Vietnam. Taking onboard experiences in multi-disciplinary, cross-disciplinary, and interdisciplinary research and teaching from across the world and different intellectual traditions, we adopt a grounded but innovative approach in the design of courses in collaboration with faculty, students, and relevant stakeholders in state and society. Serving as the core curriculum for all VinUniversity students, each course in the College of Arts and Sciences is designed to plant the seeds that will help students ask “big questions” about the past and present, develop the capacity to learn new skills and bridge the gap between theory and practice. Our co-curricular programs, planned in collaboration with a wide of range external stakeholders, extend beyond the initial year to take students out of the classrooms to fully reap the benefits of experiential learning.
To competently serve society with heart and mind, the College of Arts and Sciences seeks to begin cultivating in each student six identified attributes, namely: Character, Competence, Critical Thinking, Leadership, Entrepreneurship, and National Pride-Global Awareness. Right from the beginning, we encourage students to ask the questions, “what could you do for society” and “how would you go about actualizing your goals?” To enable students to be a part of VinUniversity’s founding mission, we seek to develop future leaders who take pride in their national heritage, are global-minded, have character, and possess an entrepreneurial spirit. The College of Arts and Sciences is where this journey begins.
The College of Arts and Sciences at VinUniversity is recruiting a full-time faculty in the following field and track:
- Field: Economics
- Track: Either teaching track or both teaching and research track
- The College of Arts and Sciences faculty member will teach the following courses but not limited to:
- Introductory Microeconomics
- Introductory Macroeconomics
- Managerial Economics
- Introduction to Econometrics
- Environmental and Resource Economics
- Other Economics-related subjects (e.g., Behavioral Economics and Managerial Decisions; Introduction to the Economics of Development)
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Have a doctorate degree in related fields from well-established universities.
- Have a strong knowledge of the subject area combined with a broad subject background enabling contributions to teaching programs at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Have good experience in experiential learning methods such as TBL (Team-based Learning), PBL (Project-based Learning), ABL (Action-based Learning) and can successfully employ them in all courses.
- Demonstrate a record of teaching excellence (student evaluation, teaching award, etc.).
- Have a strong research record is preferred.
- Have a high spirit and strong passion for education; agile to embrace changes and take on new challenges; willing to adopt and actively employ new teaching methods; open-minded to new and different environments; team-player willing to contribute to organizational goals and initiatives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
The salary benefits are internationally competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
VinUniversity (VinUni: https://vinuni.edu.vn/) is the first private, not-for-profit Vietnamese university established based on international standards. The university integrates the models of excellent international universities with the unique cultural and economic characteristics of Vietnam, to make a breakthrough in Vietnamese higher education and to become a world-class university.
VinUni has strategic collaborations with the world’s leading universities, including Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. These universities have become close advisors and crucial enablers in establishing the three colleges at VinUni: College of Business and Management, College of Engineering and Computer Science, and College of Health Sciences. Every aspect of the University: its curricula, research, faculty, student body, facilities, and campus life, is being developed to meet the highest standards set by the world’s leading accrediting and ranking organizations, such as ABET, AACSB, Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) and Times Higher Education (THE).
VinUni’s founding benefactor Vingroup is one of the biggest private conglomerates in Asia with the largest market capitalization value in Vietnam. As a multisector corporation, Vingroup focuses on three main areas: Technology; Industrials; and Property Services. VinUni is proud to be a part of the Vingroup ecosystem, giving its students opportunities to connect with several high quality research institutes (such as VinAI, VinBrain, and Vin BigData), pioneering industrial enterprises (such as VinSmart and VinFast), and leading Vietnamese companies (such as Vinpearl, Vincom Retail, Vinmec, and Vinhomes).
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Work permit: VinUniversity will assist in and provide advice for obtaining the necessary paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, work permit, insurance, etc.). However, it is your responsibility to ensure that you can satisfy all the paper requirements in a timely manner.
- According to Vietnamese Law, expatriates are required to submit all necessary documents for a work permit on the first day in Vietnam. For more information about the necessary documents, please refer to the information in this link.
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living and expatriates can live a very comfortable life here with a moderate expenditure.