Aalto University is an international community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto University has six schools with nearly 20 000 people, over 400 of which are professors. Our campus is located in Espoo, Finland. School of Engineering is an international unit with nearly 70 talented professors and 3400 full-time students, including doctoral students.
Real Estate Research Group at Aalto University School of Engineering, Department of Built Environment invites applications for
Post-doctoral Researcher in Future Real Estate
We are looking for excellent researchers to complement the multidisciplinary research team led by assistant professor Saija Toivonen. Toivonen’s team focuses on future real estate and market environment by combining futures studies methodologies and real estate research. We study e.g. the impacts of a variety of phenomena, including e.g. megatrends, wild cards, and weak signals, on the future built environment and real estate market dynamics. Our aim is to increase the futures consciousness among real estate market participants including e.g. real estate owners, developers, investors, tenants, business service providers, and the public sector participants. Therefore, our research strives to assist in developing strategies and solutions towards a more sustainable and resilient real estate sector and built environment. We work in close domestic and global collaboration with other research teams and stakeholders and provide a supporting team spirit.
The post-doctoral position
will concentrate on the future role and challenges related to working spaces in the era of digital remote work. We will view the sustainability impacts of this twin transition of green and digital and aim to provide future oriented solutions and strategies related to workspaces. Also, the researcher might take part to other research projects.
In addition to our own research team, the new researcher can also benefit the surrounding Real Estate Research Group that has around twenty researchers (doctoral researchers and postdocs) from all fields of Real Estate, including Economic Law, Land Management, Sustainable Real Estate Business, Real Estate Economics and Valuation, and Real Estate Management. We also collaborate with other Aalto member schools.
- Conducting Post-doctoral research in the field of future real estate (including e.g. project coordination and dissemination, research planning, literature reviews, collecting and analysing data, writing research papers, publishing research findings, scientific presentations in international conferences, and taking additional courses if needed e.g. futures studies and real estate courses)
- Close collaboration and co-development with the research team, project partners and stakeholders.
- Teaching and/or teaching assistance (10% of work time).
- May also include participating in other research projects and acquisition of research funding.
You should have
What do we offer?
- Master’s and Doctoral degrees in Real Estate, Economics, Land Use Planning, Urban Geography, Construction, Architecture, Futures Studies or in another applicable field.
- High motivation and capability to conduct full-time post-doctoral research. Part time working may be considered.
- Excellent study performance. M.Sc. average grade clearly above the general average. In addition, applicants should have demonstration of proven academic success.
- Excellent communication skills in English. Skills in Finnish seen as asset.
How to apply
- Post-doctoral position: 1 year position with a possibility to +2 years extension based on mid-term review and research success.
- Starting salary circa € 3700
- Total annual work time 1,612 h (no office hours).
- Starts immediately, in March 2023 or as agreed.
The applications for the position are to be submitted through eRecruitment System (link 'Apply now’) by March 5th, 2023
. Email applications will not be considered. Please note: Aalto University’s employees and visitors should apply for the position via our internal system (Workday -> find jobs) by using their existing Workday user account.
Please, feel free to contact if you are interested in or if you have any questions.
Required application documents (in a single pdf-file):
- A motivation letter. In the motivation letter, please describe why you are interested in the position and how do you see that your interest and academic results matches with the teams’ research aims
- Transcript of the study records.
- List of all research publications
- Three most relevant publications (as attached files or links to online sources)
- Names and contact information of three referees (for future request for reference letters)
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
For more information
Please contact assistant prof. Saija Toivonen (firstname.lastname@example.org
More about Aalto University: