- Full time continuing
- Contribute to world class Business Information Systems research and education within the University of Sydney Business School
- Academic B/C, Base Salary $110,856 - $156,579 p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney Business School has an outstanding international reputation in management research and teaching, and works in close cooperation with industry, government and the not-for-profit sectors. We are regarded as a leader in the region and is one of the very few Australian schools to hold business and accounting accreditation from AACSB International and EQUIS accreditation from the European Foundation for Management Development. The University of Sydney Business School is also the only Australian member school of CEMS, the Community of European Management Schools & International Companies.
Our discipline of Business Information Systems is uniquely placed to lead the way in crafting a vision for the digital future of business and society. We are known for our influential, conceptual, and innovative thinking on matters of digital technology in business and society, at the intersection of people, work practices and organisations. We take a balanced view of technology with a sensitivity for both new opportunities from digital innovation as well as critical matters of individual privacy, agency and freedom, market disruptions, power and inequality. The Discipline has strong connections with universities around the world and regularly hosts leading international scholars. Colleagues in the discipline are engaged in topic areas such as digital innovation, digital transformation, digital commerce, fintech, business intelligence, data science, social media, futures thinking, design, project management, enterprise systems, information governance, interoperability, and sustainability. Our research is published in all leading journals in the field, including MIS Quarterly, Information Systems Research, Journal of the AIS, European Journal of Information Systems, Organization Science, Information Systems Journal, and the Journal of Information Technology.
We share a passion for genuine collaboration with the wider community through engaged research approaches and rich methods of enquiry. Our work with industry partners ranges from short-term engagements in workshops and events, to consulting, directly funded research, larger public-private funded initiatives such as Australian Research Council Linkage Projects, to the creation of dedicated research centres, such as the MOTUS Lab for applied research into the emergence of ‘digital humans’ technology.
We are leaders in business education through articulating a modern digital business curriculum, as well as providing dedicated offerings in the School’s management programs. We teach in areas such as digital innovation, digital transformation, and leadership, as well as agile project methods. Our graduates are highly valued by industry, leading consulting and professional services firms.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- contribute to the research strengths of the discipline, including obtaining competitive research grants and publishing regularly in journals of international standing
- support the School's expanding program of professional and industry research collaboration, with a focus on the school’s core research areas and existing research groups
- effectively design and deliver teaching in Business Information Systems units at undergraduate and postgraduate levels to culturally diverse student cohorts, including engagement with professional bodies in order to develop innovative teaching programs that enhance the student learning experience and their employability
- supervise higher degree research students
- contribute to academic administration.
You will join a dynamic, engaged group in a highly collaborative and supportive research and teaching environment. The University of Sydney Business School values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for Lecturer/Senior Lecturer (Level B/C) in Business Information Systems who:
- has completed a PhD in information systems or a closely related field (A PhD under examination is acceptable at lecturer level)
- has an active research program in Information Systems with significant potential for high quality publication (Lecturer level) or a well-established program and publication record (Senior Lecturer level)
- expertise in one or more of the key areas of business information systems, in particular: Digital Business Models, Digital Innovation and transformation, Agile Methodologies in IS, Systems thinking, Data in Business Decision-Making, Critical Data Science
- has a demonstrated IS theoretical and methodological background, familiarity with interpretivist, qualitative research approaches
- is interested in (Lecturer level), and has experience with (Senior Lecturer level), innovative, inter-disciplinary, non-orthodox research approaches, and contributing to public conversations around technology-led change
- can demonstrate high quality teaching and capacity (Lecturer level) or experience (Senior Lecturer level) in curriculum design, in one or many of the areas of business information systems, digital innovation and management in a digital world.
Additional criteria, desirable for Level B, essential for Level C:
- Demonstrated ability to publish in top journals in the field of Information Systems
- Demonstrated experience with curriculum and/or course design
- Proven record of ability to attract research funding
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with industry and/or government organisations
- A record of successful administrative experience including course and program administration
- Demonstrated ability to communicate research results to industry and wider audiences, such as via blogs, podcasts or the media
- Membership of a recognised professional association
To be considered for this position, please provide a CV and a cover letter which demonstrates your suitability and enthusiasm for this role. These will provide evidence of how your experience and scholarship aligns with the role and should be uploaded online, along with any additional information you may have in support of your application.
For the right candidates, visa sponsorship is available for this position.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
Closing date for applications
11:59 pm, 7 August 2022
How to apply
Please click here to apply
© The University of Sydney