Search for University Jobs in Business
As a key member of the Controller's Office and reporting directly to the Controller, the Assistant Controller has responsibility for multiple functions and deliverables in the areas of general accounting, accounts payables, deferred revenues, restricted funds, and operating investments. This role will also play a critical role in supporting the Controller for annual auditing.
The Assistant Controller will have management responsibility to a small staff and will require strong mentoring, training and development experience. Direct reports include Senior Accountant, Accounts Payable Specialist (2), Loan/Receivable; Senior Accountant (supervises Staff Accountants (2).
- Manage a staff of four within the Comptroller's Office including the areas of accounts payable, general accounting, capital spending, loans/receivables;
- Responsible for ensuring that accounting ledger accounts are reconciled in an accurate, efficient and timely manner in accordance with department policies and procedures;
- Responsible for performing entries and reconciliations to certain accounts as assigned;
- In collaboration with the Controller and Manager of Financial Reporting & Analysis, ensure monthly, quarterly and year end close processes are complete, accurate and timely;
- Assists the Controller with troubleshooting and reconciling problems, analyses, interpretations and data acquisition and reporting; resolves and responds to accounting questions, problems and issues affecting the University;
- Manage the accounts payable function to ensure the prompt and accurate payments.
- Ensure institutional policies and procedures are implemented where needed, adhered to and enforced;
- Participate in the continuous assessment of accounts payable and month end close processes, procedures and best practices to improve efficiency, effectiveness and customer service;
- Record investment activity for the University's operating investments and funds held in trust;
- Obtain, review and record activity from manager statements on an ongoing basis;
- Assists Controller with preparation and coordination for annual external audit; responsible for annual audit schedules and inquiries for areas of responsibility;
- Assists Controller with ad-hoc reporting and analysis as required;
- Collaborates with the other finance department managers to support overall department goals and objectives;
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff;
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed and ensure cross-training within staff to ensure flexibility and knowledge;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of new policies and procedures;
- Responsible for ensuring there is proper training and education efforts implemented throughout the University through effective communications, training methods, and collaboration with other campus partners;
- Work with Student Activities and other departments in the administration of agency funds;
- Other projects and deliverables as assigned.
Instructions to Applicants:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting required;
- Minimum five years of progressively responsible experience in accounting, higher education or non-profit experience preferred;
- Minimum three years of supervisory experience required;
- Prior experience in Public Accounting and CPA license, while not required, strongly preferred;
- Extensive experience using automated systems, spreadsheet applications, and word processing software required;
- Experience managing and optimizing a team to deliver client centric services and a proven ability to develop and motivate teams of accounting/finance professionals at varying levels of experience;
- Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively at all levels within an organization;
- Excellent communication skills, strong analytical ability, organizational and problem solving skills required.
Please submit a resume and cover letter in the Resume/CV section of your application.
As a University committed to diversity, Simmons encourages applications broadly. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Main-Campus---Boston-MA/Assistant-Controller_R05067-2
Located in Bostons historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |